His life packed in 2 suitcases!

His life packed in 2 suitcases!

Sunday 29 October 2017

How I spent my Birthday

October 9, 2017
For the time, I had to choose between going to see some old investigators from Amalucan get baptized or going to eat with president, so we went to the baptism and it was awesome! After 9 different missionaries, S and R finally got baptised and I was able to go see it for my birthday! They got married and baptised on October 7th and we were able to go eat at their little reception that they had at their house after. SO rewarding to finally see that happen. R changed more than any other convert I have seen in my mission. He went from saying that he felt like God owes him a lot for all that he's put him through, to humbling himself and being baptised. This family will be eternal! :))))) The 6 of us that were able to go sang a special hymn for them and the spirit was so strong. 

So that's how I spent my birthday! Also calling the missionaries to tell them about their transfers. Everything went well. Hard to say goodbye to Elder N and Elder M last night though. Learned a ton from those guys. 
Got an awesome box from Oma, don't think the one from you has arrived yet though. 

Should be a pretty good transfer coming up! The sisters that were serving in our ward closed their area so we now have twice as much area and twice as many investigators, so the work should get going real well. Didn't like sharing a ward because you can't visit some of the members. All good here. 

Love you!
Elder Lethaby


Questions Answered:

What is it like being an office missionary? 
No haha I don't think they tease us much, or at least not to our faces! 

Where are your expectations at now, after a year in the mission? And what are your expectations?
I think my expectations started off as baptising every week and always bringing a ton of people to church and having super spiritual experiences every day. After my first area, I lowered my expectations a ton because it didn't happen like that. But now I think they are back up to that again. I think I have learned how to work so that that can be possible and even though we don't have much time in our area right now we think we will be able to do that this transfer. 

What is the weather like right now? Ever walk in water past your ankles?
Hasn't been raining much at all honestly these last few weeks. Like 20 is pretty normal. 

Are you in your own apartment near the mission office? Do you go in every day?
We live like 10 minutes away walking. We try to go in as little as possible and it usually ends up being like 4 times a week. 

Did you get a small bubble package from Oma? That is also on it’s way.
Didn't get the lil package from Oma but hyped on that! Elder Barfuss just called and asked how you guys send them so maybe you should hunt down his mom.

Did you get our birthday box?
YES! The pants fit perfect and I might use them every day for the next year so if you don't want me to do that, feel free to send more! Got the size right. Also loved all the cards from Emma and Hoshizaki's and candy and everything. :)

How many families are you teaching right now? How many individuals?
Like 4 fams and like 7 individuals I think, trying to find more fams but it's been hard when we constantly have to cancel appointments. 

What’s your favourite lesson to teach from Preach My Gospel?
I'm a big fan of teaching anything from the Book of Mormon like stories. I like teaching about Nephi's faith in 1Nephi 3 or 17, but really just have had a ton of spiritual experiences using the Book of Mormon. 


​October 16th, 2017
Did I tell you next transfer were getting 22 news (that's new missionaries)? That's the most that have arrived here in like 2 years I think so that will be very crazy and we are already starting to plan for it over a month ahead. 
3 people have now told me that Ana killed it, and she just sent it to me, so I will give it a read and see if that's really true. 
This week we were crazy busy with different meetings and planning for all of them. Went awesome though! We taught how to contact with the Book of Mormon, asked for cups of water and then threw them out the window to get a point across, filmed me playing basketball, and a few other fun things. I will send the video. Just so you know (because it's in Spanish), we were talking about how we need to be willing to drop whatever plans we had of the lesson we were going to teach if the Spirit tells us to do so, or if we find another need of the people we teach. The district leaders got a kick out of it and asked us if they could teach it in their district meetings haha. 
I really liked the get plenty of sunshine part on the example you sent, I think that's the one we need to work on most. (see below for what mum sent)

We also had some really sad news this week as one elder (a very good elder) was found to have cancer and was sent home for treatment. President is organising a fast for us as a mission. I thought about you mom and how I wasn't really old enough to understand what was going on, but how I'm sure now that I think about it that the ward was praying, fasting and serving our family all the way through. In Moroni 6 it talks about that, the church gets together to talk about the well being of its members. We are here for that purpose. We are also here with that purpose as a mission, so keep this Elder in your prayers please! 

I think that's about it from me,
Love you guys, thanks for everything, seriously,
Elder Lethaby


Advice from a pumpkin

Be well-rounded (M. Russell Ballard "I believe that when we focus on a few basic objectives, we are more likely to be able to manage the many demands that life makes on us. Remember, too much of anything in life can throw us off balance. At the same time, too little of the important things can do the same thing. King Benjamin counselled “that all these things [be] done in wisdom and order” (Mosiah 4:27).”)
Get plenty of sunshine (M. RussellBallard - "Many people, including me, have difficulty finding the time for sufficient rest, exercise, and relaxation. We must schedule time on our daily calendars for these activities if we are to enjoy a healthy and balanced life. Good physical appearance enhances our dignity and self-respect."
Give thanks for life’s bounty (Psalms 107:1)
Have thick skin (Psalms 118:6)
Keep Growing (Moroni 7:33)
Be outstanding in your field (1 Nephi 16:29)
Think BIG! (“Don’t let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then live so as to reach your possibilities.”President Thomas S. Monson (“Living the Abundant Life,” Ensign, Jan. 2012, 5).)

No comments:

Post a Comment