His life packed in 2 suitcases!

His life packed in 2 suitcases!

Wednesday 20 September 2017

One Year Down-Learning to be a Grown-up

August 21, 2017

Hi mom,
We had a pretty interesting week, lots of different experiences. 
I got to go on divisions with President Nelson Tuesday, the transfer meeting on Wednesday, interchanges on Thursday, and a little more time in our area on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday our ward finally got a bishop! They called a brother who's about 30 years old as the bishop, and his two councillors are younger than him! The three of them were very shocked with their callings, but I think they will do a good job to make a change in the ward. Kinda scary though!
I enjoyed the transfer meeting a lot! We went to president's house from like 9:30-2:30 and still didn't finish! Lots of work. There's a white board with a card of every missionary, their picture, their areas they've had, their old companions, their assignments, and a few other details. We prayed and then talked a lot about every one of them. Not all of the changes we decided to make are what we had thought would happen, sometimes president knows other things that are going on with certain missionaries, and sometimes the spirit just tells us to change something.  
We also set some goals that Sister Nelson is gonna be checking with us about the work in our area. We set the goal to be there working for 40 hours a week which doesn't sound like much but was pretty hard to reach this week. 

Hey send pics next week though! That's my rule if you're gonna go on vacation without me you gotta send pics! Can't really think about what else happened this week but I just went and bought some new shoes so that's kinda cool. They're gonna be my Sunday/conference/nice event shoes because even though my other ones are still hanging in there, they don't look too good anymore. I think they were the equivalent of like $60 though and they're Flexi brand which I think is supposed to be pretty good. 

Learning lots here about being a grown up hahah, like I can't just ask someone else whenever I have a problem, I have to figure it out and have the confidence in myself that it's the right answer (with mission rules and special permissions and stuff like that). Also just always being prepared without having to be asked for everything. I feel like I didn't know how to think for myself before the mission. 

One year down now, have loved it a lot up to this point and am very excited to keep progressing and drawing closer to Heavenly Father every day. Even though some days I have been working so hard without seeing any results, I look back now and honestly feel very proud of what I have been able to do. Love being a missionary. 

Have fun in Iceland and Spain and stuff!
Love,
Elder Lethaby 

Questions Answered:

Can you describe the city a bit?
The city has a lot of parts that are really "fresa" or like fancy nice, and other parts that are a bit poor. You get around in combi (little van that's like the public transportation). Everyone speaks Spanish but in this ward a bit more English. Idk what else to say haha.

Best memory of the week?
The transfer meeting! Very cool experience to see how it's done and see the concern president has for the missionaries when we are planning. Even the disobedient missionaries are very important to him and we tried to plan to help them change. 

Are you close to a Costco? One just opened in Iceland in May! What?!
I think so because the secretaries always go but I've never been!

Favourite scripture this week.
Jacob 5. Didn't get it at all before the mish and now I get it a little. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/jacob/5?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment