His life packed in 2 suitcases!

His life packed in 2 suitcases!

Wednesday 20 September 2017

When you learn that this 88 year old walks slow...

August 14th

Hi Mom!
We had a really good week with the zone conferences. The best part was when President talked about charity, and showed this talk (please listen AND watch): https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/10/the-great-commandment?lang=eng 
He talked about how if even just one of us has the idea in our mind that the mission is about receiving recognition for assignments or how many baptisms you have, the whole mission will go down. He used an example of just putting a little drop of food colouring in a big jar of water, but quickly it spread through all the water (the mission). We can choose if we want it to be a drop of charity or pride. One Elder told me after it was one of the most spiritual experiences of his (23.5 month) mission. We also talked about specific things we can do to work better with the members. 
Before I forget, my companion wants me to ask you to send beef jerky hahaha, an old companion got it once and he LOVED it but hasn't found it here. Also if you find that there's a bit of money missing from my account don't worry, I think I'm gonna buy some new shoes and a suit next week so it's for that. 
Sounds like all is well there in the YYC, Katelyn looks really happy! Send pics of her husband! Also the overpass looks handsome. 
Got to work with Elder Stones for a day this week too, which was a treat, I think he probably sent a pic to his family of the ice cream we bought, there's like 10 places to buy it in our area and it's all so good. He's doing really good and is a lot more confident now!
This week we are already going to have the first meeting to plan the transfers of the mission which I think will be a very very cool experience, super excited for that.

Have fun in Iceland and send lots of pics! Wish I could be there with you guys, but I am so happy to be where I am right now. I know the people, the place, the experiences, and everything around me is part of Heavenly Fathers plan so that I can become who I need to be. 

Love you all!
Elder Lethaby


Questions Answered:

How did zone conference go?
The zone conferences went really well! We were able to get everything ready and even with the hurricane that came by on Thursday it all went really well!

What lessons did you learn about organising an event like this?
We shouldn't just assume that the missionaries understand what they have to do. The zone leaders and sister training leaders are given the chance to train in the zone conferences, but we realised almost all of them are new, and they haven't had much experience training and that was probably the worst part of the conference, but not because they aren't good missionaries, because we didn't teach them. 

Ever play any good practical jokes, or have any done to you?
Were really into sneaking into the offices really quietly and waiting to see how long it takes for the secretaries to realise we´re there, but other than that not much since the MTC. 

Where will you spend FHE tonight? Do you mostly go to members?
We are gonna go with a little old lady and her less active fam!

Did you learn anything on the Sabbath Day…yesterday?
Yes! We passed by for an 88 year old recent convert who lives like 2 blocks away from the church so we thought we could get there in like 5 minutes, but he walked really slow, like way slower than we thought, and I was frustrated and ashamed to get to church late, but then I realised it was more important that he could get there, than just thinking about myself. Also they asked me to speak when I got there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment